(DREX)-Director Experiment Station
(UADA)-UA Division of Agriculture
- B. S., Plant Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- Ph.D., University of California, Davis, CA.
- Host plant resistance to insects and nematodes
- Aphid biology
- Plant biotechnology
- Plant phenotyping
My research program is focused on plant defenses against herbivory, with an emphasis on mechanisms of resistance against vascular feeders such as aphids and root-knot nematodes. Vascular feeders can cause massive physiological changes in their host plant such as galling, and many of these herbivores are also important vectors of plant pathogens. Their interactions with plants are therefore important from both an ecological and a practical agricultural perspective. Despite this, relatively little is known about the physiological or molecular basis of plant responses to vascular herbivory. My laboratory uses tomato (Solanum lycopersicum), Arabidopsis thaliana, and soybean (Glycine max) as model systems to investigate this question, and to explore how plant defenses are linked to primary metabolism, plant growth and development. I am also one of the lead scientists for the Plant Imaging Consortium, an interdisciplinary regional consortium that applies molecular imaging and high throughput phenotyping to the study of plant stress responses.
- ENTO 6113: Insect Physiology and Molecular Biology. Spring, even years.
- Wickramanayake, J.A., Goss, J.A., Zou, M., and Goggin, F.L. 2020. Loss of Function of Fatty Acid Desaturase 7 in Tomato Enhances Photosynthetic Carbon Fixation Efficiency. Frontiers in Plant Science, 11: article 932. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2020.00932
- Lee, M., Padilla, C.S., Chirag G., Galla, A., Pereira, A., Li, J., and Goggin, F.L. 2020. The FATTY ACID DESATURASE2 Family in Tomato Contributes to Primary Metabolism and Stress Responses. Plant Physiology, 182, 1083-1099. http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/182/2/1083
- Li, J. , Avila, C.A., Tieman, D.M., Klee, H.J., and Goggin, F.L. 2018. A Comparison of the Effects of Fatty Acid Desaturase 7 and Hydroperoxide Lyase on Plant-Aphid Interactions. International Journal of Molecular Science 19(4), E1077; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19041077 (special issue on plant defense).
- Lee, M., Huffaker, A., Crippen, D., Robbins, R.T., and Goggin, F.L. 2018. Plant Elicitor Peptides Promote Plant Defenses against Nematodes in Soybean. Molecular Plant Pathology, 19(4):858-869. https://bsppjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/mpp.12570
- Goggin F.L., Quisenberry S.S., and Ni X. 2017. Chapter 14: Feeding Injury. Invited chapter in Aphids as Crop Pests, 2nd ed., eds H.M. van Emden and R. Harrington, CABI, Oxfordshire, UK.
- Xu J., Tran T., Padilla C., Braun D., and Goggin F.L. 2017. Superoxide-responsive genes expression in Arabidopsis thaliana and Zea mays. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 117, 51-60.
- Goggin, F.L., Lorence, A., and Topp, C.N. 2015. Applying high-throughput phenotyping to plant-insect interactions: picturing more resistant crops. Current Opinion in Insect Science, 9, 69-76.
- Goggin, F.L., Zhu-Salzman, K. 2015. Pests and resistance: Social networking---studying the web of plant-insect interactions to improve host plant resistance (Editorial overview). Current Opinion in Insect Science, 9, 69-76.
- Avila, C.A., Wu, C., and Goggin, F.L. 2015. The ethylene response factor Pti5 contributes to potato aphid resistance in tomato independent of ethylene signaling. Journal of Experimental Botany, 66: 559-570.
- Pallipparambil, G.R., Sayler, R.J., Shapiro, J.P., Jean M.G. Thomas, J.M.G., Kring, T.J., and Goggin, F.L. 2015. Mi-1.2, an R gene for aphid resistance in tomato, has direct negative effects on a zoophytophagous biocontrol agent, Orius insidiosus, Journal of Experimental Botany, 66: 549-557.
- Avila, C.A., Arevalo-Soliz, M.A., Lorence, A., and Goggin, F.L. 2013. Expression of a-DIOXYGENASE 1 in tomato and Arabidopsis contributes to plant defenses against aphids. Molecular Plant Microbe Interactions, 26(8):977-86.
- Avila, C.A.1, Arévalo-Soliz, L.M., Jia, L., Navarre, D.A., Chen, Z., Howe, G.A., Meng, Q.W., E. Smith, J.E., and Goggin, F.L. 2012. Loss of function of FATTY ACID DESATURASE 7 in tomato enhances basal aphid resistance in a salicylate-dependent manner. Plant Physiology, 158: 2028-2041.
- Sayler, R.J., Walker, C., Goggin, F.L., Agudelo, P., and Kirkpatrick, T. 2012. Conventional PCR Detection and Real-Time PCR Quantification of Reniform Nematodes. Plant Disease, 96 (12): 1757- 1762.
- Tran, H., Stephenson, S.L., Chen, Z., Pollock, E., and Goggin, F.L. 2012. Evaluating the potential use of myxomycetes as a source of lipids for biodiesel production. Bioresource Technology, 123: 386-389.
- Corbett, B.P., Jia, L., Sayler, R.J., Arevalo-Soliz L.M, and Goggin, F.L. 2011. The Effects of Root-knot Nematode Infection and Mi-mediated Nematode Resistance in Tomato on Plant Fitness. Journal of Nematology, 43 (2): 82-89.
- Wu, C., Jia, L., and Goggin, F.L. 2011. The reliability of TRV-based VIGS experiments in tomato is influenced by the size of the vector control. Molecular Plant Pathology, 12(3), 299-305.
- Radin, J., Suza, W., Goggin, F.L., and Lorence, A. 2011. Ascorbate Regulation in Arabidopsis: Jasmonate, Abscisic acid, and ethylene mutants. In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology-Animal. 47 (Supplement 1): S66-S67.
- Goggin F. L., Avila, C. A., and Lorence, A. 2010. Vitamin C content in plants is modified by insects and influences susceptibility to herbivory. BioEssays, 32:777-790.
- Palliparrambil, R., Reese, J., Avila, C., Louis, J., & Goggin, F. L. 2010. Mi-mediated aphid resistance in tomato: tissue localization and impact on the feeding behavior of two potato aphid clones with differing levels of virulence. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 135: 295-307.
- Francis, F., Guillonneau, F., Leprince, P., De Pauw, E., Haubruge, E., Jia, L., and Goggin, F. L. 2010. Tritrophic interactions among Macrosiphum euphorbiae aphids, their host plants, and endosymbionts: investigation by a proteomic approach. Journal of Insect Physiology 56: 575-585.
- Suza, W. P., Avila, C.A., Carruthers, K., Kulkarni, S., Goggin, F. L., and Lorence, A. 2010. Exploring the impact of wounding and jasmonates on ascorbate metabolism. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 48: 337-350.
- Anstead, J., Samuel, P., Song, N., Wu, C., Thompson G. A., and Goggin F. L. 2010. Activation of ethylene-related genes in response to aphid feeding on resistant and susceptible melon and tomato plants. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 134: 170-181.
- Goggin, F.L., Palliparambil, G.R., Francis, F., and Reese, J.C. 2009 (but published in 2011) The Mi-1.2 gene in tomato: A model for analyzing the specificity of R gene-mediated insect resistance. International Plant Resistance to Insects (IPRI), Nineteenth Biennial Workshop, 28-31 March 2010, Charleston SC. Journal of Agricultural and Urban Entomology 26: 116.
- Palliparambil, G.R., Reese, J.C., Avila, C.A., Louis, J.M., and Goggin, F.L. 2009 (but published in 2011) Mi-mediated aphid resistance in tomato: Tissue localization and impact on the feeding behavior of two potato aphid clones with differing levels of virulence. International Plant Resistance to Insects (IPRI), Nineteenth Biennial Workshop, 28-31 March 2010, Charleston SC. Journal of Agricultural and Urban Entomology 26: 129.
- Palliparambil, G.R., Shapiro, J., and Goggin, F.L. 2009. Mi-mediated resistance in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) has direct negative effect on two species of minute pirate bugs. International Plant Resistance to Insects (IPRI), Nineteenth Biennial Workshop, 28-31 March 2010, Charleston SC. Journal of Agricultural and Urban Entomology 26: 129.
- Muilenburg, V. L., Goggin, F. L., Hebert, S., Jia, L., and Stephen, F. M. 2008. Ant predation on red oak borer confirmed by field observation and DNA analysis. Agricultural and Forest Entomology 10: 205-213.
- Goggin, F. L. 2007. Plant-aphid interactions: molecular and ecological perspectives. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 399-408.
- Hebert, S., Jia, L., and Goggin, F. L. 2007. Quantitative differences in aphid virulence and foliar symptom development on tomato plants carrying the Mi resistance gene. Environmental Entomology 36: 458-467.
- Sagers, C. L., and Goggin, F. L. 2007. Isotopic enrichment in a phloem-feeding insect: influences of nutrient and water availability. Oecologia 151: 464-472.
- Goggin, F. L., Jia, L., Shah, G., Hebert, S., Williamson, V. M., and Ullman, D. E. 2006. The tomato Mi-1.2 herbivore resistance gene functions to confer nematode resistance but not aphid resistance in eggplant. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 19: 383-388.
- Thompson, G. T., and Goggin, F. L. 2006. Transcriptomics and functional genomics of plant defense induction by phloem-feeding insects. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 755-766.
- Korth, K. L., Doege, S. J., Park S., Goggin, F. L., Wang, Q., Gomez, S. K., Liu, G., Jia, L., and Nakata, P. A. 2006. Medicago truncatula mutants demonstrate the role of plant calcium oxalate crystals as an effective defense against chewing insects. Plant Physiology 141: 188-195.
- Cooper, W. R., Jia, L., and Goggin, F. L. 2005. Effects of jasmonate-induced defenses on root-knot nematode infection of resistant and susceptible tomato cultivars. Journal of Chemical Ecology 31: 1953-1967.
- Cooper, W. R., and Goggin, F. L. 2005. The impact of jasmonate-dependent defenses on the feeding behavior, fecundity, and mortality of the potato aphid, Macrosiphum euphorbiae. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 115: 107-115 (Impact Factor: 1.7).
- Jia, L., Hebert, S., and Goggin, F.L. 2005. Influence of the octadecacanoid signaling pathway on plant-aphid interactions. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A-Molecular & Integrative Physiology 141 (3): S235-S235.
- Cooper, W. R., Jia, L., and Goggin, F. L. 2004. Acquired and R-gene-mediated resistance against the potato aphid in tomato. Journal of Chemical Ecology 30: 2527-2542.
- Goggin, F. L., Shah, G., Williamson, V. M., and Ullman, D. E. 2004. Instability of Mi-mediated nematode resistance in transgenic tomato plants. Molecular Breeding 13: 391-394.
- Goggin, F.L., Shah, G., Williamson, V. M., and Ullman, D. E. 2004. Developmental regulation of Mi-mediated aphid resistance is independent of Mi-1.2 transcript levels. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 17: 532-536.
- Goggin, F.L., Williamson, V. M., and Ullman, D. E. 2001. Variability in the response of Macrosiphum euphorbiae and Myzus persicae (Hemiptera: Aphididae) to the tomato resistance gene Mi. Environmental Entomology 30: 101-106.
- Goggin, F. L., Medville R., and Turgeon, R. 2001. Phloem loading in the tulip tree. Mechanisms and evolutionary implications. Plant Physiology 124: 891-899.
- Rossi, M., Goggin, F. L., Milligan, S. B., Kaloshian, I., Ullman, D. E., and Williamson, V. M. 1998. The nematode resistance gene Mi of tomato confers resistance against the potato aphid. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, U.S.A. 95: 9750-9754.
- Assistant Professor, University of Arkansas, 2001-2007
- Associate Professor, University of Arkansas, 2007-2011
- Full Professor, University of Arkansas, 2011-present
- Golden Tusk Award, University of Arkansas, 2020 (for graduate advising).
- Southeastern Branch Entomological Society of America Recognition Award in Insect Physiology, Biochemistry and Toxicology, 2014.
- University of Arkansas Outstanding Mentor Award. 2005, and 2011 (for advising undergraduate research).