Through the application of emerging technologies like big data, remote sensing, gene editing and nanotech, we translate our research from the lab to the field to the food on your table.
The Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology offers Master of Science (M.S.) degree programs in both entomology and plant pathology. Assistantships are available for graduate students looking for assistance in funding their advanced degrees.
The department offers a Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences (AFLS) with the option to concentrate in either Entomology or Plant Pathology. Assistantships and fellowships are available to assist with funding the AFLS Ph.D. program.
Find an Expert
Our department is staffed with award-winning, nationally-recognized faculty members who not only serve students on campus, but also conduct research that benefits industries and communities across the state, nation and globe.
The Department is a global leader in entomology and plant pathology; promoting human, animal, and plant health, environmental sustainability and food security.
The Department serves science and society through discovery, translation and dissemination of knowledge and resources to promote human, animal, and plant health, environmental sustainability and food security.
- Foster interdisciplinary and synergistic collaboration.
- Champion a supportive, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Support innovation and excellence.
- Ensure scientific integrity.
- Engage and serve our stakeholders.
Recent Events and Recognitions:
- Faculty members, Fiona Goggin and Allen Szalanski, were recently recognized with 20 years of service awards
- Doctoral student Cassie Steele and advisor Emily McDermott, assistant professor of entomology, published a survey of earlier studies identifying and characterizing the hearing abilities of mosquitoes
- Alejandro Rojas received the award for Outstanding Faculty Member of the Year for 2020-2021 Academic Year
Current Job Postings:
- Assistant Professor - Crop Entomologist. More information and application can be found here.